According to China Automotive Technology & Research Centre, BYD Han has achieved 11884 insurance registrations in Dec. 2021, far surpassing BBA car types such as BMW 5 Series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, and Audi A6. It took the top spot of insurance registrations among all mid and large-sized sedans, breaking the long-lasting monopoly of BBA in the market of mid and large-sized sedans.
Before 2020, it is hard to imagine a Chinese brand overcoming BBA in two years and reaching the top of the sedan market, which is long-term occupied by foreign brands. After all, none of the top 10 sedan brands belonged to China. Therefore, BYD Han’s success finally made Chinese industries’ ‘high-end dream’ come true, with BYD posts strong EVs deliveries in December and Full year.
Why was BYD Han able to make the breakthrough?
The first and foremost reason for success is the enhancement of technology. The Chinese market has been one of the earliest markets that concentrated its effort on new energy. It has become a leader instead of a follower in the development of new energy technology.
The BYD Han vehicle uses advanced technology including:
- The Blade Battery significantly enhances the efficiency of energy storage and increases the extent of space utilisation.
- Carbonised silicon charge-controlled module lowers inner resistance and increases the overcurrent ability of the electric control system.
- IPB integrated brake control system allows the brake system to react faster and more accurately.
- Self-invented intelligent four-wheel drive, or Haldex.
- A surprisingly low wind resistance coefficient at 0.233 enables the ride to be more smooth.
From the social aspect, Chinese customers have gained confidence in the quality of domestic products as the Chinese economy grew. ‘Halo effect’ is used to give Chinese customers a positive impression of foreign, unfamiliar brands.
But now, customers become more objective when buying cars, regarding the quality and usefulness of the car instead of branding when they are making choices.
From the market aspect, the Chinese car industry has been growing fast for almost 30 years. The Chinese market has been the largest car market for over 12 years. China’s demand and supply for cars are far more significant than before.
The future will be one that focuses on competition in new energy fields.