According to Tianyancha, Beijing Zvision Technology Co. Ltd. has undergone industrial and commercial registration of changes. XPeng Inc. (“XPeng” or the “Company”, NYSE: XPEV, HKEX: 9868. HK) has become one of its shareholders, increasing Zvision’s registered capital to 3,068,300 RMB.
Zvision Technology focuses on providing a solution for all-solid-state laser infrared radar(LIDAR). Its main customers include automotive Original Equipment Manufacturers(OEM) and automatic pilot companies.
Its current product focuses on providing LIDAR solutions for related cars in a specific area under different kinds of circumstances.
LiDAR, or light detection and ranging, is a popular remote sensing method used for measuring the exact distance of an object on the earth’s surface.
- A pulsed laser is used to calculate objects’ relative distances.
- Then, those light pulses are put together with the information collected by the airborne system and generate accurate 3D information about the earth’s surface and the target object.
Analysts suggested that the LIDAR technology can be used in the car’s autonomous pilot function and safety navigation functions.
LIDAR’s function includes:
- It can help the car to detect and avoid obstacles.
- It has a very high distance and angle resolution ratio and a wide speed-detection range.
- It can acquire numerous images of the target without being interrupted.
- It increases the car’s sensibility and upgrades the car’s intelligent functions.
Xpeng P5 launched in Sept. 2021 is the first mass-produced AI car that carries LIDAR globally. This technology made P5 very attractive to customers:
- P5 is able to measure distance accurately at a centimetre-level scale
- P5 is able to detect obstacles within 150 metres and covers 150° within its vision.
- P5’s detection ability is not interrupted by environmental light. It could work at night or in tunnels.
- Compared with the pure-optical algorithm used by Tesla, P5’s detection method has higher adaptability to China’s complicated road environment.
The LIDAR technology enables P5 to upgrade its navigation guided pilot(NGP) system into XPILOT 3.5. This allows:
- Driver’s mental pressure when driving on highways to be lowered
- Cars can automatically enter and leave ring roads
- Extension of NGP’s range of application into nights and rainy days
- Able to automatically adjust according to speed limits.
Xpeng’s demand for LIDAR is going to increase since it just launched another SUV car type: Xpeng G9. Xpeng’s decision to invest in Zvision can be seen as its preparation for further investigation and exploration in the area of LIDAR.